Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow and homemade bread

First, let me say that we live in Florida.
The last time it snowed in Florida was about 14 years ago.
People don't know how to behave here when it snows.
That would explain why schools were closed today.

It was freezing and wet all day, although we did not see any actual snowflakes until about 1pm. Ds#3 immediately donned his coat and ran outside to catch snow in his mouth. (Should I worry about that?)

Anyway, with such a cold day, I decided to make some homemade bread. Because it's yummy and comforting hot out of the oven on a cold day, and because the oven would help keep the house warm. I put the ingredients in the bread machine to knead the dough, and then bake in the oven (we prefer the texture from oven-baking).

And the recipe (I cannot find the source, so please forgive me)....

1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp dry milk (I subbed regular milk)
1 Tbsp up to 1/3 cup sugar (we like 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour (start with 3 cups and add as necessary - it usually turns out to be about 3 1/4 for me)
1 1/4 tsp yeast

I add all ingredients in the bread machine and put it on the 'dough' setting. When it's finished, I let rise for about 45 minutes and bake in a 350 oven.

I also use a combination of white and wheat flour for this recipe with good results (that means no complaining from my guys).


1 comment:

Leah said...

Rule of thumb around here is, DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW!! Kids are pretty much born with that little nugget - LOL!