Saturday, January 16, 2010

Eating From the Pantry Challenge - Week Two recap

This week went pretty well - I went to the store last Saturday for eggs, milk, bread, and Diet Coke (my husband's single vice!). Then I came home and we had a chat about Coke being over $5!!! YIKES!!!

My darling man also loves to go out to eat, so on Sunday, I gave in. But that meal actually provided two lunches for both of us during the week, so I didn't feel quite so bad. The rest of the week, we ate at home, almost according to plan. I was worried that I was going to have to hit the grocery store - just for ONE item - but still... and I was able to avoid that. YEA for small victories! The weather has been unseasonably cold, so we've had lots of soup. This week will return to more normal temps, and I may have to get creative with a few things!

Here is what we actually ate:
Sunday~ I relented and we went out to eat. But the leftovers provided lunch for hubby & me for two more days.
Monday~ Pasta fagioli soup
Tuesday~ Orange chicken, rice, broccoli, mandarin oranges
Wednesday~ Quesadillas
Thursday~ Beef tips & gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits (used beef from the freezer & added pearl onions & mushrooms)
Friday~ Pasta toss
Saturday~ Sticky chicken, twice baked potatoes, corn bread, green beans

I am amazed at how well we can eat even when I'm trying not to spend any money. No one has had to endure anything unpleasant - if anything, hubby and son have been thrilled with the meals! Just takes a little resourcefulness on Mom's part. :)

We've got two more weeks to go... how is YOUR challenge holding up??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow diet coke addict, I know how hard it is to give up! lol I have switched from cans to 2 liter bottles -- that made a big difference in our budget. Great job with the challenge!