Thursday, July 30, 2009

Frugal Friday - clothing swap

I'm sharing this week one of the best ideas I think I've ever heard. My church is hosting a Clothing Swap! We did it at Christmastime too, but this one is, of course, meant to be in time for back-to-school.

Over the years, with my big boys, I've consigned, I've donated to Goodwill, and so on. But I love the Clothing Swap because I can pass along a good-but-not-perfect item to someone who can use it. I can't consign an item if it has a flaw - even if it's still in good shape, and even if the flaw is very minor - they won't take it. But my boys would still wear it if it fit them! So... with the Clothing Swap, someone who might use it has access to it. And I can find gently used jeans for this boy who has legs like Stretch Armstrong.

Here's how we organized this event:
Items are collected for about two weeks, and then sorted for the swap. Times are posted for daytime 'shopping' and evening 'shopping' so that everyone has the opportunity to look for clothing. No underwear or household items are accepted. Everything that is left at the end of the swap is donated to charity. You get to clean out the closets and everyone is happy!

What's your Frugal Friday tip?
Share here.

No comments: