Sunday, December 14, 2008

Scrumtious Sunday

My contribution is not so much a recipe, but a method. You see, we live in Florida, where we grill all year long. Even when it is cold (cold = 30s for us) or rainy. Like today. I really wanted to grill a beef tenderloin after church today, but hubby did not have charcoal for the grill.
So what's a girl to do?
IMPROVISE.
I researched options for pan-roasting this here tenderloin, and I found this from Alton Brown on Food Network:
Sear roast on all sides in cast iron skillet (I just used a pan with an oven-safe handle).
Allow meat to rest, then place into 250 degree oven to roast until meat reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees (about 15-20 minutes). Allow meat to rest before carving.

And then I read directions on the packaging for said beef tenderloin.
Roast in a 325 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
Allow meat to rest before carving.

So... I get it... let the meat rest.

I decided to sear the meat in my skillet to give it some color. Then, because I already had the oven at 425 to roast some potatoes, I put the meat in there at that temp. It cooked approximately 15 minutes. I removed it from the oven, let it rest, sauteed some mushrooms and set the table, then carved the meat into very thin slices. It was pink and lovely....

So, now I know - you CAN substitute oven-roasting for grilling when you have to. ;)

Share your recipes and revelations on Scrumptious Sunday Swap at Happy To Be At Home!



No comments: