Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Scrumptious Sunday!!!

What a fun thing to participate in - the Scrumptious Sunday Swap - hosted by Happy to Be At Home.

So here's my recipe - I tried it last week with my family, and it was unusual, but we all liked it. And it uses seasonal ingredients, AND it's healthy!! How can you beat that???


Butternut Squash Coleslaw with Honey Goat Cheese Dressing

(from Tyler Florence on Food Network)

4 ounces fresh creamy goat cheese, room temperature (I did not have this, so I omitted it)
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 medium butternut squash
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves

Special equipment: mandoline (another thing I did not have - I just used my food processor)

In a large mixing bowl, combine goat cheese, honey, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir well with a whisk until fully combined and creamy.

Remove the top narrow portion of the butternut squash and peel. Discard or use the bulb portion for something else. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut the peeled cylinder into fine long matchsticks (julienne). This should yield about 4 cups. Fold into the cheese dressing along with dried cranberries, walnuts and chopped fresh parsley.

This looks like a variation on carrot salad, because of the bright orange color of the squash. It is crunchy because it is raw, and a little sweet. The cranberries add a yummy punch and the toasted walnuts give just the right crunch. I did add a touch of brown sugar to sweeten it up.

4 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

THis sounds yummy! :D I've never had butternut squash raw.

The Happy Housewife said...

wow that sounds good, I love goat cheese, and I am starting to like butternut squash!
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com
http://happytobeathome.net

Unknown said...

Butternut squash is an adventure for me too. :) I was worried about the raw factor - whether or not I would like it - but it was tasty!

Kate @ A Simple Walk said...

Wow, I can't wait to try this. I've been looking for recipes to incorporate more seasonal squash into our diets. That dressing sounds incredible. I love goat cheese, but I don't really care for the price tag. Good to now it tasted good without it.